January 29, 2011

Saturday Morning silence

I had to ask someone what day it was today. I am not sure what that's saying... apparently it's Saturday. Saturday. Saturday... got it.

So the morning class today, besides being wonderful!, was full of chanting and based on the theme of Self Respect. In my teacher's (self-proclaimed Hin-glish) the importance of self-respecting yourself and self-respecting others. This might sound like a quaint idea but in fact I think there is deep truth here. Self respect for your body and also for the energy, emotions and positions that come with it.

Other gem of wisdom I've learned (and this is still technically "jet-lag" days... the course starts Monday! what can I say, I'm a keener!) is from my first morning of silence. It was only half a morning actually... they're easing us (read: me) into this. *phew*
Lesson 1: morning silence makes you realize, afterward, just how much you say that is really useless. Not in a negative self-depreciating way but in a "wow-that's-just-filling-sound-space" way.
Lesson 2: during morning silence you realize how many inane thoughts run though your head and how easy it is to find yourself devoting all your mental capacity to trying to analyze the number of chickpeas fit in your spoon or (worse still) whether or not the small bottle of shampoo will run out before the end of February. Really? I've got years of life experience and wonderful education and I am thinking about plastic shampoo bottles and chickpeas as though it'll make me a better person? Well, here's to learning what silence will bring.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could do that morning silence - maybe no talking but no texting and no emailing too!

    I think I told you about my sister Ruth - she just got back from an Ashram in the Bahamas - for training in Recovery Yoga - I connected her to your blog because I think she'll follow in your footsteps one day and venture to India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyndia, it is exciting to hear your impressions and the emotions you are feeling! It is very much you and thrilling to know your dream is coming true slowly. I am sure your learning will be tremendous over the next few months - I will enjoy reading about it as it happens. Take care! You are missed!
    Linda Murray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both Lindas :D It's great to hear from each of you and I've thought about the "Recovery Yoga" here already Linda H. One of my co-students is interested in addictions counselling so I will mention your sister's Ashram in the Bahamas to her as well!

    And Linda M. I'm glad you are enjoying the blog from Edmonton! Things are going so well here I'm so thankful I am able to be doing all this right now too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.