January 29, 2011

Welcome to Rishikesh

I'm sorry I haven't got a chance to upload a picture here for you but these hills are breathtaking. I love the ashram and the flowers and colours. I love the sun rises during the first yoga class and I love the dining hall with its individual floor-tables and no chairs. This is going to be great!

I should have known how lovely it would be when we got the official Rishikesh welcome. There was a little white "WELCOME" message scrolled in chalk on the pavement near the door and a handful of the wonderful staff there to greet us. Then we had a ceremony (of which the official name alludes me) where each student received her (or his... in the case of one of the 34 students at this YTT course*) a careful dot of red dye and a grain of rice on our third eye (in between the two visible eyes we all know and love) and then a fresh garland of marigolds. We were each fed a small sesame sweet (a bit gummy like thin Jello but more paste-y like fudge.) It actually made me feel so welcome I almost shed a tear. Awww. I know.

I also composed a short poem:

placing an offering of time
hearing nothing in return
seeing nothing in return
feeling everything at once.


At least it wasn't one of the S.T.D. shops we saw along the way to Rishikesh. Some were closed and some looked welcoming. I was going to take a picture but I'm sure you can imagine it... little blue or yellow hut resembling a phone booth or an old-fashioned ticket booth. Just big enough for... uh... well...I had to ask what that was all about because I was both confused and disturbed. Luckily I found out I would not need to visit the STD shop and would not have to explain myself to any medical professionals in the near future... as long as making a cell phone call doesn't suddenly have awkward physical symptoms. Although I didn't look any further into the exact meaning of the acronym it has to do with getting a cell phone card. Intuitive? Not so much. That is one shop that could definitely benefit from a visual logo... of A CELL PHONE.


*YTT is the Yoga Teacher Training and I will use the shorthand of YTT or YTT200 to keep things simple!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you received a very beautiful welcome! What is the name of the ashram you are at?

    Ha ha that's funny about the STD shop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) It was lovely indeed!!

    I am at the World Conscious Yoga Family program at the Anand Prakash Ashram (www.anandprakashashram.com)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.