February 13, 2011

shhhh

I did it.

I had dinner in silence. I tasted. I savoured. I slowed (well, somewhat slower). I was in silence. It was such an inspiring (and partially hilarious) experience that I knew I wanted to do it again.

So I did.

All day Friday (and all day today as well... so I wrote this yesterday to save myself as I am counting "emailing," "postcard writing," and "excessive gesticulation" as deal breakers on the silence thing).

Many people were curious as to why I was doing it or congradulated me, but really it was like Staples always says... that was easy. Really. Like, FOR REAL really! It was energizing and inspiring and I didn't "techincally" cheat once... my exception was during our three hours of "teaching class" I did the exerise when it was my turn to instruct because that is pretty unfair to my partner and to my experience as a soon-to-be yoga teacher (and potential students: "oh sorry, you have that debilitating neck injury... I didn't learn it properly. I was taking a vow of silence." uhhh, doesn't cut it.) Only three people said somehting along the lines of "Oooooh! I was wondering why you weren't talking" when I showed them my homemade "silence badge" (don't worry I have a picture... on my camera...)

That's why I wanted to try again on Sunday - our "day off" when I will have no cop-outs or lost teaching experience.

Friday though, I was so inspired to just be reflective and take things slow... so refreshing. So balancing. And then half way through supper I was struck with the thought of "silent meditation!" I found a little space and a candle and my meditation shawl (the beautiful semi-expensive-but-not-relative-to-prices-at-home equitibly-woven-by-a-women's-coop) and aimed for 20 minutes of meditation... but.. dun da da dun: 1 hour! I was impressed! And, again, inspired. THIS is what I came for. THIS is what I need to focus on.

The best meditation exercise? I focused on the phrase "Contentment leads to unsurpassed joy." And I felt it. Well... joy at least... I can't exactly quantify the "unsurpassed" part. But I do feel a bit more inspired on the Contentment Study once again.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched "Eat, Pray, Love" a few days ago and I was thinking of you!

    How are you finding the food at the ashram? It is vegetarian, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.