February 15, 2011

Interesting Technique

So far in techniques class we have learned about the physical postures (asanas) that are the oh-so-identifable part of yoga to most folks who "practice" at a gym or via DVDs: stretching, balancing, twisting, downward dog (called "mountain" here... there's different terms in North and South India, who knew!?)
Parvatasana? Yep!
Vakrasana? love it!
Utkatasana? oh yeah.
Tadasana? like a pro
Katichakrasana? got it!
Dhurvasana? and I even know what they all mean!

Jal Neti? Oh.. that's new. Do we put our feet on our head? Do we twist from the low back? Do we tuck the tailbone and engage the abs? No. None of these things... except tilt head and breath through your mouth... this is the saucha kind of yoga: purification. In this case... of the nose. With salt water... by pouring it in one nostril and draining it out the other. No I'm not kidding. No it wasn't bad. Yes I lubricated my nostrils with ghee after. Yes I've done it again since we learned it last week.

I certainly realize this falls very close to the line of "Too Much Information" but I had to share it with you (aka. the world) because of the way in which some people were so shocked but it's really super natural and really helpful. Personally, I've just decided to be open to all experiences (with in reason) and see how things go. I am a fan of the Jal Neti. Seriously. Prevents sinus infections, helps with allergies, eliminate nosebleeds... all with saline and warm water?! Done!


I'll teach you if you want... but rule number one is: No sharing the same Neti pot!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - the neti pot!! Use it - love it!! Sounds like an amazing time. Can you get any cooler? hugs - heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I know you like tea pots, but this takes it to a whole new level. A tea pot for your nose! Ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! Janae, that's so right! I never even thought about it. My nose tea pot is excellent though. I've been using it at least once a week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.