February 12, 2011

Mash-up Remix Update

Howdy! Although you've seen posts all this week (thanks to future-posting abilities) I feel like it's been a long haul until I've had a chance to reflect... these last 6 days are especially hectic with both work and energy. Lots to experience. Lots to comprehend.

Okay, actually too much! I wish my biggest challenge had been finding the post office (check) but there were many more; in particular... Anatomy class. Thankfully this was embodied anatomy so I got to spend as much time palapatating (uhh or some similar sounding word that means to feel the anatomy of another person) as reading text-heavy biology-related books (one style of litereature that have not grazed my fingers in years!)

First of all - wedding season. This is not limited, in Rishikesh, to a few weekends in summer but rather every auspicious day before a new moon. Last week: five. Ooookay... No problem. But here's some of my own myth-busting on the topic.
(Myth)They are all the way across the valley! Busted. When we could hear the mic checks from the roof-top terrace... at 4pm... I knew I needed to re-evaluate my expectations (or find a way to sneak over and Wedding Crash). I guess outdoor and semi-outdoor functions lose that "noise buffering" feature.

But if they start at 4pm surely they'll be done soon after! Busted. Busted and MORE Busted. Silent meditation after supper feels almost ironic when done in the beautiful resonance of the meditation hall that has perfect acoustics for the traditional Indian dance songs the band was playing.

At least there's a noise curfew! Busted... as with most a few rules here... I am pretty sure I don't get them... or if they exist a few (hundred) rupees can change the game. But 11pm? No problem... I never go to bed early... IN CANADA! I am all tuckered out and tucked in by 9pm. Once I stayed up until 10pm and I nothing less than astounded.

...at least I won't be able to hear the chior of dogs! *single tear* Busted... they are massively talented these dogs. More lung capacity than after a Yogi Guru after a one hour session of Pranayama.* Sleep: 0; the Dogs: 1.

At least it's a cultural experience! I am not even going to say it... the first four, across the valley DID have traditional music (and exceptionally loud, but still Hindi-speaking, Emcees) but the last one? Across the street (i.e. think your neighbour in suburbia) definitely opted to go more "Western" with a DJ and such savvy remixes and dance songs that I have not even heard it. One of my fellow students/ashram dwellers/go-to-bed-early-ers... even said she heard a Ke$ha song. No. Not okay.

But luckily for us the days have become less auspicious again - three consecutive days of dogs-barking-only-silence.... but speaking of silence (another post, for another post...)

*yoga's breathing exercises to help strengthen respiration and to increase the volume of the body to incorporate as much energy as possible (from the breath).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.