February 7, 2011

Ganges Experiment

Best Saturday morning activity? Yoga!

Afternoon? Well this past Saturday's 6km walk (one way) to a beach on the Ganges river with a picnic lunch sure hit the spot! It must have been 24 degrees (Celcius) and Even though we draw attention like a parade as we walk it was SUCH a beautiful day and a perfect little outdoor excursion. That was also a very inspiring moment: writing poetry in my journal, dipping my feet in the chilly mountain water and eating flatbread and beets and curried chickpeas in the sun on a rocky beach? Yes, I definitely love it here!

The Ganges was more then just a river. I KNOW I am not the first one to say that. Millions of people worship the sacred waters as a Goddess and there are daily rituals, offerings and chants all along it's 2506km. Many in India call her the Ganga Ma or mother Ganga.
foot in the Ganges
There were donkeys and dogs and oddly close-hovering middle-aged male swimmers that added, uh, atmosphere but on the advice of my inspiring-ly spiritual roommate I took a few moments of contemplation and give an offering to the river before dipping my feet in. I had a small flower and lots of respect for the beauty and power of the waters... and was brought to tears after my 30 minute river-gazing session. I felt inspired to write a poem or two and then even felt the bright blue sky with its wispy clouds smiling with sunshine. Actually though, I'm not sure I'll type the whole poem out here... I'll save that for my Tourist Candy blog; which will have to wait until next weekend :) I've got a test to study for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.