February 8, 2011

Contentment Study

I keep mixing up the words "compassion" and "contentment."  This is especially odd because they are ENGLISH words and not things like "shaucha" and "santosha" or "dharana" and "dhyana" (which I am having little to know problem keeping straight (when I remember them at all...)

But now I know that santosha and contentment are one in the same. Well, okay I kind of knew that already... at least I did as of a few weeks ago. That's when I decided (even while still at home in the throws of moving and winter and job-ending and life upheaval) that I would be writing my paper/giving my yoga-talk on the yoga sutra* 2.42 - Contentment leads to unsurpassed joy.

I'm now on the search for contentment... intellectually and philosophically by next week, but practically for every moment... my whole life. But it's a tough one to realize. To actually, fully be content. No matter what.

Yeah, some things are easy "contenement points" a Saturday afternoon in summer when the yard work is done and you've got nothing in between you and your favourite book (except maybe the most delicious chilled glass of iced tea in the county). That's the kind of contentment you only need to acknowledge. It's the bleak-day, nothing-special assignment with cold coffee and a hang nail kinda days that "contentment" gets a lot harder. So that's why I picked it. It's actually something I look forward to learning more about and practicing.

Two things on this Contentment Study I've already learned. Gratitude is a big part of it (more on that later). And the more I get to look at amazing Indian bookstores & libraries to find sources and inspiration for this study the more content I'll be! I've got 6 new purchases including a couple books of poems so I'm pretty much delighted, never mind content!


*Patanjali's yoga sutras have been translated a great many times but a great many people. This one is just one take on it but the concept of contentment as translated from santosha is fairly consistent.

2 comments:

  1. Lyndia, you are a great writer. Everytime I read your blog I am completely engaged. I love it and I am thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ELVIE! :) great to have a comment from you! I hope you are well and thank you for the compliment. Although I can't say I'm missing home and Canadian winter just yet... it'd be great to have a tea (I mean chai!) here with you :)

    Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.