April 19, 2011

10 Farewell High-Fives

Good bye India. Today I start my journey home and have a flight to catch (with a 10 day stop over in Germany, of course - yipee!). However, I wanted to make a final (FINAL) post to re-cap Lyndia's India and high-five all I have loved, loathed and learned. I keep having ideas for lists pop into my head so... here is a list of the 10 Lists (so 11 lists in total?)

1. India-isms I'll Miss
2. India-isms I won't
3. Energetic Events of Powerful Personal Significance
4. Straight-Up Unexpected Sights
5. Most Memorable Quotes (from Others)
6. Stupidest Questions (byMe)
7. Food!
8. Photos I Took
9. Photos I Juuuust Missed:
10. Unbelievably Grateful for...

1. India-isms I'll Miss
a) walking-trains of sari-clad women    b) year-round growing season that provides vibrant greens & flowers
c) chai on every corner!                       d) 25 cents for a day's worth of produce
e) sunrise chants, songs and calls-to-prayer.

2. India-isms I won't

a) endless advertising overload      b) shouting as normal-volume
c) walking on-guard of potential poop underfoot      d) bucket-bathing
e) children with permanent dirt stained skin and teary eyes pulling at my pant leg and pleading for rupees.

3. Energetic Events of Powerful Personal Significance
a) moments on the serene beaches of the Ganga    b) feet soaking meditation in the pool of the Golden Temple
c) breathing in the prana of the Rishikesh hills         d) playing Holi in front of the Rosebowl
e) early morning Chakra-chanting                       ... f) Vishnodevi hike & all of Mcleod Ganj!

4. Straight-Up Unexpected
a) Hawks soaring over Delhi rooftops at breakfast    b) Hare Krishna Temple dance party
c) (as mentioned) seeing the Dalai Lama    d) (caution TMI (too much information) here) learning the fine art, uh science of bidet-style toilet-ing...
e) finding seats on the Hemkunt Express to Jammu (story coming soon)

5. Most Memorable Quotes (from Others)
a) "Ma'am? For how long should we hold this asana to attain Enlightenment?" - Doon yoga student.    
b) "Now I want to show you something Not in Lonely Planet, okay?" - awesome guide in Amritsar (story coming soon)
c) "For 13,000 Canadian dollars, can you take me to Canada with you?" - husband of a woman in the Ladies Waiting Room at a train station.
d) "Eat whatever you want. Do whatever you want. You are still young. You are fine." -Dr. Aurora as a summary of my first-ever Ayurvedic assessment
e) "If you aren't laughing four or five times a day you're not living, only breathing" - Yogi Vishvketu

6. Stupidest Questions (by Me)
a) "What do you call those little, tiny, baby mangoes?" A: Yes! Mangoes.
b) "Then how do you say "excuse me" with respect to someone younger than you?" A: Excuse me.
c) "Why is it called Chakarta Gate?" A: Because it's on Chakarta Road.
d) "Oh! What's happening at that village with all the fair rides and people? Is it a festival? Does it happen often?" A: It's a village fair. Usually once a year. (Me: Ah, just like at home...)
e) On seeing a black bear on a hill as pointed out by the driver. "Whoa! That's cool! Is it very common to see those here?" A: Umm, yes. That is the zoo.

7. Food!
a) parantha b) shahi paneer  c) malai kofta  d) Mystery grain porridge e) Chai! & Mithai! (trans. tea & sweets...but I already knew that)

8. Photos I Took (5 or more... of MANY more)
(see next post)
9. Photos I Juuuust Missed
(see next next post)

10. Unbelievably Grateful for...
a)...the ability to feel calm and one-ness in the chaos of an uncontrolled line of Ladies buying train tickets (story coming soon)
b) ...the month of hospitality at #83 Veejay Park in Dehradun!!
c) ...my Yoga Family who accommodated and understood my silence and self-relationship development
d) ...the nick-of-time guidance and spontaneous friendships!
e) ...a myriad of instances of clarity, confidence and connectedness in my own life
& f) ...poems, energy, flowing water, sunrise-skies, songs and colours, direction, dreams, advice and inspiration that I'll carry the rest of my life.

I <3 You India. I <3 You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.