March 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Day at the Hill Station

Ambassador

Helpful signposts

Hill Station view

The Library (aka. bazaar)

The Mall (aka. Main Street)
This and next year's Saint Patrick Days will be unique. This year will be celebrated with the least amount of fanfare possible. Ever. No green beer. No "Kiss Me I'm Irish" t-shirts. No four leaf clovers. No jigs or drinking songs.

I am frightfully sure that next year will more than make up for it. I'm sure I will be shocked.

However, today I am just waiting for an Ambassador (hopefully white!) to take me up to the Hill Station. How much more British Raj can it get? I will stop for tea and hope to brush up on my accent at the very least. Maybe I should also find a white safari hat and suit and ivory walking cane to tour around with? I think St. George* might be the closest I come to celebrating any Saints today...

Mussoorie here I come!
Former misunderstandings, busted:
NOT Missouri, USA
NOT a restaurant in Dehradun.

Fast facts I just armed myself with:
Altitude 1880m,
aka Queen of the Hills,
snow-ranges to the North East and the Doon Valley in the South.

In 1832 was intended to be the termination point of the great Survey of India to set up a new office for the Surveyor General (not the Surgeon General...)

The name Mussoorie is attributed to a derivation of 'mansoor', an indigenous shrub. As of 2001, there are about 26,000 people living there.

*Home to Woodstock (school) and St. George's college.

Camel's Back road is a point of interest along with Bhatta Falls, Nag Devta temple to Snake-God Shiva, the Municipal Gardens, the Library Bazaar and Sir George Everest's house (yes, the mountain was named after THIS Everest).

And the town is also home to India's largest roller skating rink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.