March 21, 2011

And for my next trick, I mean trip...

Today is Monday. March 21st. I say this for myself and to acknowledge, for the first time that my blog-timing is a bit confused. Sometimes I am posting for "today" in Canada and sometimes I am posting for "today" in India. TODAY I did both. One post for Canada-today (Holi) and one post for India-today (travel plans). In the future when these are read there will be no confusion, but for today... confuse away! (Well, only to me).

I digress...

But I do want to announce my next travel plans today... Canada-today. I am going to be boarding my first India Railways train (originally in 3rd Class A/C but now half the journey will be in First Class... long story)! When you in Canada read this I will already be on the train and half-way through my re-location. Tonight (of India-today) I'm on the Express Dehradun-Amritsar. I will be spending three days in the Punjab state.

What is in Amritsar you might be wondering... well I am too - that's why I'm going. But I'm also looking forward to seeing the exquisite Sikh monument The Golden Temple. I read somewhere that it rivals the Taj Mahal. And then there's museums about the Punjab history and Sikhism that are sure to be informative and interesting. Of course the cuisine: I've got to eat some Punjab foods (close proximity within the Old City).

Another stop on most Amristar-tourists' lists? The Indo-Pakistan border! Apparently they have a bit of a show with the changing of the guards and a formal gesture of peaceful greeting between one sides guards and the other.

Mostly I am just eager to get out on my own for a couple days and see what another state of India is like. This may not QUITE fit in my "in-depth" and "meaningful" intention of Lyndia's India but as if I wasn't going to mention ANYTHING about it. I hope to give another update soon after my return, but there may be limited time as I will be off on another adventure the day after... Doon social-service project in west Uttakarhand.

One excursion at a time Lyndia. One excursion at a time. Don't forget about The Moment. Don't forget to Go-With-the-Flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback and ideas but I do request that nothing offensive, no commercial links and no spam-like messages are left here. I reserve the right to remove any and all comments that aren't appropriate.